top of page
251 Canaan Rd, Salisbury, CT 06068, USA
The School's Founding Headmaster, The Reverend George E. Quaile opened Salisbury School in 1901, after serving as Headmaster of St. Austin’s School on Staten Island in New York from 1894 to 1901. Dr. Quaile was a man of rare moral leadership and broad vision. He purchased the original tract of land amid the rolling Berkshire hills for the present site of Salisbury School, selecting property that was originally an apple farm. The historic Main Building was constructed under Dr. Quaile’s direction and was the centerpiece of Salisbury School as an independent college preparatory school. After his death in 1934, Dr. Quaile was succeeded by his son, Emerson B. Quaile, a Salisbury and Yale graduate, who was then serving as a Master of Latin at the neighboring Hotchkiss School. The Depression years stalled the growth of the School, as Mr. Quaile had the arduous task of maintaining traditional academic standards in a lean financial era when student enrollment sharply declined. His untimely death in 1942 ended the burgeoning career of a charismatic and dedicated Headmaster. In November of 2002, Mr. Chisholm S. Chandler was appointed to succeed Mr. Flood. Having served the Salisbury School admissions and college offices successfully after he graduated from Brown University, Mr. Chandler became the seventh headmaster in July of 2003. Under his leadership, recent additions to campus include Ward House, housing 44 students and six faculty families (fall 2004), four single-family faculty homes (fall 2006), the Wachtmeister Turf Field (fall 2007), the Curtis Boathouse (spring 2008), the state-of-the-art Flood Athletic Center (winter 2009), and the Class of 2012 entrance to the Main Building (fall 2012).
See for yourself!
bottom of page